A fiscal representative in Portugal is required for non-EU companies in this country. Such businesses must appoint a tax representative, with clear responsibilities regarding their registration for the payment of taxes, VAT included. In the following lines, you can find out some of the tasks of such a specialist, specifying that you can get in touch with our company formation agents in Portugal. Also, if you want to set up a company in Portugal, you have all our support.
Why do you need a fiscal representative in Portugal?
As mentioned at the beginning of this article, fiscal representation in Portugal for non-residents is necessary since commencing the process of company formation in Portugal. This can be natural persons or entities with residence in Portugal. Here are some of the responsibilities:
- Prepare the necessary documents to obtain the NIF (Número de Identificação Fiscal) or Tax Identification Number. This number is attached to non-resident companies that are going to carry out their activities on the territory of Portugal.
- Setting up a branch in Portugal requires a tax representative who can apply for NIF at the National Registry of Companies.
- The tax representative in Portugal is the point of contact between the foreign company and the local tax authorities. He or she must submit all the necessary documents to obtain the NIF for the company.
- Also, the fiscal representative in Portugal is the one who prepares and submits the documents for the payment of taxes, VAT included, and ensures that they are paid according to the legislation in force. Contact us for more about fiscal representation in Portugal for non-residents.
With the help of our local agents, you can secure a tax representative in Portugal if you want to open a company from a non-EU/EEA country. Also, once you contact us, you can find out what are the costs of a fiscal representative in Portugal.
The obligation to have fiscal representation in Portugal for non-residents
If for companies from European countries, it is not mandatory to appoint a tax representative in Portugal, for those coming from non-EU/EEA countries it is an imposed condition. Therefore, company incorporation in Portugal for companies from these countries must also include appointing a fiscal representation in Portugal for non-residents who will act with a power of attorney. It is not difficult to find such a specialist, but we recommend that you opt for the services offered by our company to ensure that you comply with the legislation. Fiscal representatives in Portugal can also be called for companies that do not have a fixed place of business in this country or a permanent establishment, but which carry out their activities in this territory.
On the other hand, a tax representative in Portugal can offer specialist advice on tax problems, deductions, and tax returns and can represent you before the relevant authorities in the case of tax inspections.
If you are interested in the costs of a fiscal representative in Portugal, do not hesitate to contact us. On the other hand, you can also discover some statistical data about the country’s economy, if you want to open a company in Portugal:
- The GDP in Portugal registered a growth of around 2.7% in Q3 of 2023.
- Around 1.1% was the growth for final consumption expenditure in Portugal in Q3 of 2023.
- The adjusted GDP per capita of households in Portugal increased by around 0.7% in the same period.
In addition to the services offered by our fiscal representatives, you can also opt for those of our accountants in Portugal. We therefore invite you to discover our offers by contacting us online or by phone.